Monday, September 2, 2013

Swim It Baby

I am almost afraid to turn on the television or radio news, I figure they must know the outcome by now, and I do not want to hear that she failed again. I am rooting for her, hoping really hard, that she makes it this time. With this report, from earlier today, saying she was at the two mile mark, it is almost unfathomable to imagine that she could again to reach her mark but that last 2 miles of Diana Nyad's 110 mile swim attempt from Cuba to Key West, Florida (without a shark cage) has got to be the most grueling 2 miles of her lifetime. I do not give a damn about her political convictions (which I am betting are to the far left) nor about the fact that she works or has worked for NPR (those leftist loons) but just care about the fact that no one has accomplished this before (yeah some woman did it in a shark cage which gave her the advantage of the draft that pulled her along) but Nyad is doing it without any such aid. She is 64 years old, American, has tried and failed four times previously, but is yet again making the effort and has at least reached within two short very long miles of the end. How can you not wish her well.

Damn, if I turn on the news there is no way it can jinx her right. To tell you the truth, there is no way I can wait until I hear it from someone else, I have got to know, and who knows, if it ain't over yet I may get to watch on live TV. I have been cheering her on for many years, I know she can do it.

1250 PM, edited to add: CNN reports that, as of about 20 minutes ago, she was at the 2 mile mark and was expected to hit her mark in Key West sometime between 2 and 4 PM. Swim woman - swim! I may yet get to watch it live as she swims the last few yards to U.S. shores.

1500, edited to add: Well she did it, and I missed it. The guy giving us the estimate to have our kitchen cabinets refaced was late and she did it while I was occupied with that stuff. Oh well, I can watch a video of it. The important thing is she finally beat it - got it done after a few other tries - and is the only person ever to have done it. Crazy lady maybe, for even trying, but certainly one heck of a determined athlete; I think they said it took her just under 53 hours.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: