Monday, December 24, 2012

What An Unexpected Christmas Present - Laurel and Hardy Live On Forever

When I was around 8 to 9 years old, I began to love watching Laurel and Hardy on television. It was a different time back then and a kid of that age did not have the understanding of such things as reruns, or about the immortality of films. Then again, maybe it was just me  who did not understand and I guess I believed that anything on television was live. I said something to my brother one day, I do not have a clue as to what it was that I said, that got this response from him (or pretty close to it): 'Don't be stupid, they aren’t alive anymore, they’re dead'. To which I replied along these lines: ‘How can they be dead, there they are right now on the television!’ My brother then briefly explained the facts of life to me about being immortalized on film. I was thunderstruck, I was sad, I was mad, I was helpless and it looked as if the world was about to end. I got over it somehow but I never got over Laurel and Hardy. 

They were two very funny men. Their shorts and movies are true classics and as far as I am concerned, as long as I am alive, they will never die. I don’t watch them much now, but if they are on for a late night movie, that is what I will watch. They always make me laugh and oddly enough always make me sad because they are gone but the laughter wins out every time.

Something today came as a Christmas surprise when I opened an email a friend, Pete A. had sent me a day or two ago. It was a video clip from YouTube featuring Laurel and Hardy edited into a music video. Not only did it make me happy to see them but it made me even happier to realize that they are still appreciated today. They are still alive aren't they? Just watch this video and try to convince me otherwise. I mean: ‘How can they be dead, there they are right now on the television YouTube!’



That video and that rendition of Bei mir bist du schön (German name), by Ilhama Gasimova, also called Bei mir bistu shein (original Yiddish name) and not scheen, was excellent!

Thanks Pete, for one of the best Christmas presents I have ever received! Knowing they live on because they are still appreciated by a younger generation is absolutely excellent because it means they will live forever even after I am long gone. I guess, in a way my brother was right but how I wish he was still here among us for me to be able to tell him, not so much just how wrong he had been, but rather to let him know the good news that they live on after all. Then again, he probably knew that all along in his adult years, I am pretty sure he remained a fan.

By the way, this song was written in 1932, by Yiddish composers. It was a big hit for The Andrews Sisters (link to Wikipedia info) back in 1937 or 1938 once rewritten with English language lyrics (source). Here is one of the versions by the Andrews Sisters with some great photos of them.



I used to love The Andrews Sisters (link to official website) too, with their angelic voices. I guess I still do because they too live on (and I suspect so too will Ilhama due to her version of this song). They were in a couple of Abbott and Costello movies and were always great. What fabulous memories for a wonderful Christmas morning and what a great fairly new rendition of an old classic! Thanks again Pete. Merry Christmas.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: