Saturday, November 3, 2012

So What Did You Do During The Super-Storm And Its Immediate Aftermath

Me, I hunkered down for the most part, at least during this storm. I stopped by Home Depot on Monday for something I needed, nothing to do with getting prepared for the storm. That was an eyeful of last minute panicked preppers, so to speak. I had to go out a few times, on Monday and Tuesday, to let the dogs answer natures call, all 7 of them (we had two visiting as they often do). On Tuesday I started to call the insurance company and roofers to start the process of having my storm damaged roof replaced. While we still had power, I emailed back and forth with a couple who wanted to adopt out a red Eared Slider turtle. I was willing to take it but wanted to wait until Friday to pick it up. They were hopeful that I could get it on Wednesday as they were leaving town on Thursday. I doubted it. 

On Wednesday morning, I traveled into Harlem, in northern Manhattan after all. I wound up picking  up the turtle from a very nice couple who were giving it away because they could no longer care for it. They were leaving for a work assignment in East Africa on Thursday. I figured I would adopt it out at the then upcoming Long Island Herpetological Society 23rd Annual Reptile Show. I had also ordered a group of Blue Tailed Salamanders to exhibit at the LIHS show. I had some last year but asked a friend to care for them during my bout with the big C and most were lost probably due to contaminated food. So I figured to replace them and had placed an order right before the storm; the order has been delayed until next week by the dealer due to the storm. I just found out yesterday that the upcoming LIHS show is no longer upcoming, it has been postponed indefinitely (personally I think this an overreaction to the storm but that is just my opinion). That was a disappointment. Now I am stuck with a Red Eared Slider that I certainly did not expect to have to care for for more than 10 days but shit happens. It will get good care nonetheless. 

My trip to pick up the turtle was pretty uneventful, I just wish I had topped off my almost full tank of gas on the return home. Some gas stations were open with very short waits. Now, forget about it, the lines are long, tempers short and there is a fuel shortage. I can wait, I still have over half a tank. Should last the week. 

Later on Wednesday afternoon, we sat down with the roofing estimator. She figured $10,350 to replace my roof shingles. Another $1,250 or so for the gutters too. Ouch. I am hopeful the insurance company will cover it all except for the $500 deductible. After that I had a few drinks and proceeded to get snockered. I also put together 15 or so packets of coins wrapped in aluminum foil for any trick-or-treaters who might show up. We had been busy in the house with the roofing lady and did not even answer the door when some kids came by because we had no candy on hand. So after my wife went to work for the evening, I thought having some spare change in hand to give any more that came around would be the way to go. There was from 50 cents up to a buck in each. Then, I sat out on my front stoop, cup with the silver foil wrapped treats and a pumpkin nearby. I went and got a few knives and started to carve as the evening quickly faded o black (well, not really black as the moon was just passed full). Not one kid came by. So, after that, since all the trick-or-treaters had come by only while it was still light outside, I visited three neighbors with kids and let each of their kids have two or three packets each. The rest went back into my almost depleted change jar. I continued to get snockered and wound up doing a bit of reading by glo-stick (white light).  

On Thursday, I went to Walmart and Costco to do some shopping. I picked up some candles at Wally World. We had enough for the storm with quite a few left over but I figured you just about cannot have enough of them if the power goes out and do not have a generator. At Costco, I picked up some AAA batteries, a 48 pack of them to add to the stock, even though I had enough on hand for the then current emergency. Those I had were in small 6 packs and I figured I could throw them into my go-bags or hunting pack. I also bought a few steaks (for dinner for today, Saturday), and a roasted chicken (best deal in the land at $4.99 for a large, nicely cooked chicken) and some other things. Before heading out to Costco on Thursday, my wife told me that a local beer distributor was selling ice. Even though they had no power, they had a freezer full of bags of ice from before the storm and it has stayed frozen solid. Once we discovered that the distributor had ice, I bought some and put the ice in our fridge to keep what little we had left in there edible; some of the previously frozen stuff had already gotten questionable even though we had some ice in the fridge and freezer.  Also took a walk with the wife, daughter and 7 dogs. That was an eye opener, lots of downed trees in next village over from ours. On Thursday night, I again did some reading by glo-stick before hitting the hay by 10. 

On Friday, I dealt with the insurance company on the phone and was told that an adjuster will be assigned my case within 10 days and will come by after that. Long wait but with all the houses that were destroyed what can one expect. The guy told me to go ahead and have any needed emergency repairs done if we think the roof will leak. Roofer told me not to worry, I hope she was right. I stopped by an elderly neighbor and had a nice chat. I wanted to make sure she was okay. I also went to get some ice for her from the beer distributor and while there I bought myself a 4 pack of Mike's Hurricane drinks. I have not tried them yet; the guy at the store told me they were basically alcohol in fruit punch. Saved for this weekend, probably tomorrow after work, if I work. The library has been closed since Monday. I got a small bit of plastering done yesterday. I filled in the hole where my medicine cabinet used to be. Bought a new one that is surface mounted. 

Today has been much of nothing. I ate breakfast only about an hour ago. I have been emailing people to check to see if they are okay after the storm. I also checked my mail, mostly junk. I did find that the Browning Citori Lightning that I had up for sale, on GunBroker.com, sold. The final bid was not quite as much as I had hoped but I got more than I paid for it after all expenses and that money will go toward my gun collecting. I also read a few blogs. Then I checked on the availability of 62-64 grain 5.56x45 ammo, and saw it is still mostly unavailable except at inflated prices. Found out there is a gun show this weekend in Middletown, NY (as in today and tomorrow) that I will not be attending. Also found out there is a gun show in White Plains, NY next weekend that I hope to attend with my buddy Charlie K..

My wife is at work, my son still upstate and my daughter at her fiancĂ©’s place.  

I just took a call from my son, interrupted my typing this post. He is okay, still visiting his girlfriend upstate. He plans to be home early next week. I noticed a basket full of laundry upstairs and threw the clothes into the washing machine. I will have a few loads to get done today, of that I am sure. Happy I saw that one to remind me. She who must be worshipped left it in a location where I was sure to trip over it if I did not see it first. Lucky for me it was light out. 

I already also did the dishes (I am very pussified domesticated). 

Now, I had best close this blog post and go upstairs to sand down the plaster work that I did yesterday, then clean it up, before she who must be adored gets home from work. If I get a coat of primer/sealer on it before she gets home, that would be a plus. After that, I'll have to wrap her birthday present; her b'day is imminent more or less. 

Such is a boring and almost uneventful 5 days and a wake-up of my life before, during and after the super-storm. 
 
So what did you do before, during and over the few days after the super-storm?

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: