Thursday, September 20, 2012

Three Schrade Knives - All Made In The USA

The three pictured knives were all part of my inheritance, from my late brother's estate. (That's a laugh, not that he is my late brother but that he had an estate.) Oh well, I got to pick some things I wanted like to keep from his belongings and three of the things I picked were these knives. All three are Schrades and all three were made in the USA. The two that are not in the packaging were made in the USA when everything about Schrade was still made in this country. The other one, well the knife was made in the USA but Schrade had already bowed to the pressures of our long weakening economy and started to have the packaging made in China (what a shame).

Neither of the two used ones are in great shape, one needs some work to remove some rust, and the other a bit of polishing up. The one in the package is like new, old stock. Sorry that I could not get a better pic of it through the packaging.

The knives are a bit special to me because, if I remember right, I gave all three of them to Ray a long time back. The first one I gave him was the Old Timer hunting sheath knife, the second one was the Schrade Scrimshaw and the last was the special edition that is still in the package. I know for sure I gave him the first and the third and am pretty certain I gave him the second one mentioned too. Without further jabbering on my part here are a couple of pics of the knives, now all family heirlooms I suppose.

 

I wish they still made them here. It was kind of nice to be able to buy relatively inexpensive knives, of decent quality, made not only in the USA but in New York State as well. My bet is that not only did federal taxes have them sell out to the Chinese but so too did the damned taxes in New York, some of the highest in the nation. Probably did not matter much in the long run, my bet is that within 10 years, New York will attempt to ban the sale and possession of just about any kind of knife imaginable.

At least we still have these - Old Timers not only by virtue of their name but by virtue of when they were made - in the Old USA.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: