Sunday, September 2, 2012

A LOOK THAT COULD KILL

...is probably the look that I gave a dude at Gander Mountain yesterday. I was in the firearms department and was walking by a rack of used rifles. Another customer picked one up, and was checking it out. I thought nothing of it and checked out some ammo on the shelves. When I turned away from the shelves, I saw the guy was operating the bolt, with the rifle pointed directly at me, I guessed he had been aiming it at my back when I had my back turned toward him. I can only imagine that the look on my face was enough to scare the shit out of him because he actually paled, put the rifle back into the rack quickly, and walked away at a brisk pace with his head bowed. Oh yeah, he also had a look on his face - one of total embarrassment as if he had just screwed up big and realized it. That also seemed mixed in with a look of an edge of fear.

I did not say a word to him. I did chuckle out loud and maybe whispered the word "asshole". What an arsehat was he, he seemingly knew it too. At least, in his knowing it and in his putting the rifle down and walking away like that, he displayed that he had some sense of how to handle firearms correctly even though he had not done it right just then.

There is a chance that I read him all wrong but we made eye contact and he gave a lot of tells and I am pretty sure I read him right. Then again, maybe he was the Walter Mitty type and was fantasizing about how it could have been if the gun did not have a trigger lock on it and had he had some ammo for it. I prefer to believe the former.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: