Monday, August 27, 2012

HUNTING LICENSES PURCHASED - DMPs SELECTED...

...and that means a scouting trip, in the near future, is expected. I have to work tomorrow but that is my only workday this week. Thus, I am hoping to get away by Thursday, late morning as I have an appointment to keep that day. After that I am free until next Tuesday. I have a couple of different places to visit, for scouting trips, so it is likely the trip will last a few days. I am hoping for good weather and will bring along a tent and sleeping bag and other camping gear (and plenty of Aleve for my aches and pains) and make a good time of it. If it rains, or badly threatens to do so, then I may opt to stay at a dirt cheap motel; I gave up sleeping outside in the rain, years ago. Motel 6 comes to mind but if I can find something less expensive, I will go for it. I have both some Priority Club points for Holiday Inns and Hilton Honors points for their chain of motels. I think I will make a couple of advance reservations in anticipation of rain, I can always cancel if it looks like the weather will hold out and then I will sleep under the stars.

Luckily, I got both of the Deer Management Permits for which I applied. Brendan was not so lucky, he only got one of two and lost a preference point on the one he did not get. Oh well, we have three of them in total and we can sign them over to one or the other of us if we want. So, if one of us gets a buck, we can assure the other will also have a chance at a doe (actually an anterless deer) with the DMP, as well as at a buck with his or my regular license. Brendan got his DMP in Wildlife Management Unit 4P, in the NW Catskills, where his girlfriend's parents own a house. He is pretty familiar with the area and is probably bound to score up that way. I hope so and I do mean score by him bagging a deer. Hopefully, I will be invited to hunt there too. The other one, he applied for, was closer to where I got my first choice but as I said he did not get selected for that one.

I got my first choice of DMPs, WMU 7S. It is west and part of it is also south of Binghamton, at least a couple to a few hours from where Brendan got his. There is a lot of public land in the area. So, there probably is a lot of scouting for me to do. The areas I truly would have preferred for my DMP did not have any available or required preference points of which I had none anyway. I can live with it even though not an area with which I am familiar. I am hoping to find a fairly remote area to hunt, yes even overpopulated NY State has some remote hunting areas. I also got a DMP in a pretty populated area WMU 3M. It is much closer to home and can be a back-up sort of area if I don't get a deer on the first few days of the hunt at the other one. It will be a place I can drive to, and return home from, all in one day for some quick later in the season hunts.

If I am really lucky, Brendan will come along with me on the scouting trip but then there is a chance he has to work in that time frame. I'll see soon enough.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: