Friday, July 29, 2011

Hatching Hermann's Tortoise

I only have two eggs left, out of 8 laid by my female Hermann's Tortoise in two clutches of 4 eggs each. The clutches were laid about 2 weeks apart and I expected the egg from the first clutch to hatch next week or the week after. Surprisingly, the only one that was actually fertile from the first clutch hatched this evening. I am pretty happy to see it made it all the way to hatching since that particular egg had a crack running around it for about 3/4 of its widest circumference. Luckily the inner membrane was apparently never torn and the baby seems to have developed okay.


Hermann's Tortoise,
hatching on July 29, 2011.
Click image to enlarge it.
The new tortoise hatchling is still partly in the shell and probably will not be all the way out for a day or two since it still has a good sized egg yolk attached. The big piece of egg shell, near the upper left of the photo, was already completely separated from the rest of the shell, so I put it to the side to be able to get the shot. I will leave it be for at least a couple of days before checking again, although I suppose I'll have to show my wife and kids sooner than later. With that written Brendan just came home and I showed it to him for a few moments. As for Linda & Celina, they may have to wait until Sunday.

With the tortoise back in the incubator, it is time to make sure we have everything ready for the Appleseed Shoot tomorrow.

All the best,
Glenn B

4 comments:

Humble wife said...

Okay that is absolutely amazing!!

We practically do the same things...as the eggs in the nest I mark with an x to make sure the mama hen is rotating it!

I am impressed with your little hatchling!

Jen

Glenn B said...

Different reason for the X wih reptiles though; it is to make sure they always stay the same way up. Turning the eggs can kill the embryo. This is not as critical in tortoise eggs as it is in snake eggs but I was not taking chances because at a certain stage of development, as I understand, turning the egg over can also kill a tortoise embryo.

All the best,
GB

Humble wife said...

I had no idea! Wow, the more I learn, the less I know! Funny how that works!

Are you going to raise them and or sell them or ?

Jen

Glenn B said...

Jn,

Legally, under federal law, they cannot be sold until 4" in length. The FDA, the agency that controls that law,bdoes mention an exception for hobbyist breeders. The thing is, NY State has a similar law and I am none too sure they have the same exception. So, I may have it for a year or more before being able to sell it legally. Of course, that does not mean I cannot trade it or gift it. I think though, since it is the first one, I may have to keep it. Maybe the 2nd one will be sold, if it hatches but like with chickens, you cannot count em until the eggs hatch, so I cannot say yet!

All the best,
GB