Saturday, February 19, 2011

Middletown Gun Show Report

After driving the 90 miles or so today, to get to the Middletown gun show, I can say almost without a doubt, I will not be going there again in the near future. This gun show was a flop and a big disappointment. I feel fairly safe saying that the show, 2 weeks ago at White Plains, NY , had more guns offered for sale by a fairly good margin. Besides that, the Middletown show was mobbed, and it was very difficult to walk around and see what was for sale. I had thought the White Plains show was crowded but it was nowhere nearly as bad as was the one in Middletown today. When you figure that White Plains is about a 90 mile round trip for us and Middletown is about a 180 mile round trip, you see that we will be saving a pretty penny on gas (and on tolls) by cutting out future trips to Middletown. I normally don't mind driving a good ways for a gun show, I have driven to Valley Forge, PA and up to West Springfield, Massachusetts but I do mind driving all that way and winding up at a show that was a flop. As I already pointed out, such was, in my opinion, the Middletown show today.

As you may be aware, I was looking for either a Remington 700 VTR and if I could not find one then a nice AK47. There were a total of about 6 AK-47s on display in the whole show. One dealer who usually has a good selection of them did not. That was one of the five dealers who's owner was arrested a couple of days ago in XXXXXXX County. The guy at their table (I was surprised they had a table) told me that the police had seized all of their AK-47s; another guy at the same table said not all were seized and they had some in the store. That was not helping me at the show and I am none too sure I would have bought a gun from them while they are under investigation. It is not that I am pre-judging them but with my job, I do not need a conflict of interest that such a purchase might cause. They saved me the trouble of having to make up my mind because they did not have any for sale.

As far as guns went, I would also have settled for a nice Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington but I did not see any at the show in any caliber.

The only things I purchased were 2 ammo cans for $15 the pair. The guy who usually has them at $6 or $7 each was nowhere to be seen. These are in very good condition with some nicks or small scrapes to the paint but no visible rust or dents.

Brendan picked up some pre-ban hi-cap mags for his AR and also picked up a case of Prvi Partizan 5.65x45 ammo for his AR. This was the stuff I kicked myself for not getting him two weeks ago at the White Plains show, from the same dealer that had been at that show. Luck was with us, they charged $4 less than they asked for at the other show. Not a big savings but certainly a savings. The price out the door was $350. It is 5.56x45 62 gr. FMJ M885 with the green penetrator tip. It's brass cased, boxer primed, non-corrosive and the brass is reloadable. Country of origin is Serbia. Year of production 2008. I'll have to check the base to see if it is NATO spec.

Now you may know of a better on-line price but I have not been able to find a better deal on-line or in person. That is because when I see it at a less expensive price on-line there is a nasty phrase next to it saying: 'sold out' or 'not available' and I have not seen it in person at a cheaper price at all. Then there is the thing about on-line purchases and shipping expenses, usually around $20 to $25. I did see it at one site for $299.99 with free shipping but of course it was sold out. On-line ammo retailers, who did have it in stock, had quite a higher price that what Brendan paid today. Midway has a case for: $527.99 plus $21.87 shipping and Sportsmansguide has it for: $455.97 for the club members price, regular is $479.97, plus $19.49 shipping for either. So, I think Brendan got a good deal. Of course, all that gas money and the tolls, well they add to it, but they come with a day out anyway and I paid the tolls (the eZ-pass is in my name) and I gave him a twenty for gas. Come to think of it, I paid his admission fee too ($9 with the $1 off coupon). So, the ammo itself was such a deal but then so too was the rest of his day - he also got a nice lunch at Texas Roadhouse out of me and I gave him one of the ammo cans! Oh well, I had a good time and he sure is worth it.

As I said though, I am none too sure a future trip to Middletown will be worth it with the greater expense just to see less guns, more crowds, and more scenery on the drive than it takes to go to White Plains. That could mean that next time if and when we do decide on a trip further away than White Plains, it probably will be to PA or MA for a show.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: