Sunday, September 5, 2010

LIHS 21st Annual Reptile and Amphibian Expo

I find it hard to beleive that it is already almost time for the Long Island Herpetological Society's Annual Expo and I find it even harder to believe that this will be the 21st such show! This year's show will be held on Saturday, October, 9th, from 10:00AM until 4:00PM at Roosevelt Hall in SUNY Farmingdale in Farmingdale, NY.

I have been a member of the LIHS for either 20 or 21 years, and am not certain but think I was at the first annual show way back when in the Copiague Memorial Library. Over the years, I have been to most of the annual shows and have shown and/or sold animals there. I have won a good amount of ribbons and trophies and even once was awarded the overall best in show for one of my critters - I think that was for my female Hermann's Tortoise a few years back.

As is usual, I should be there again this year. I will enter some of my animals into the judged competition and I will have others on display on my table and also may have some for sale. Whatever I sell, I usually donate something of what I bring in to the society. I certainly do not make any profit, not even enough for pocket change because of the cost of the table, the cost of what I am selling, and the donation I make. Mostly, the only reason I have sold nything in recent years was so that I could give any money brought in to the LIHS as a donation. Not boasting or anything, I just enjoy doing it.

This year, with regard to the critters I'll be entering, I can tell you that I not only hope to win the best of at least one category - I almost expect it - and I have high hopes of to win best of show. Again, I am not boasting about my animals (well maybe a bit), nor am I being arrogant, nor do I have any of the judges in my pocket; it is simply I am just pretty confident that I have some really fine specimens to enter into this years competition. In addition, least two of them will be unusual enough to know there likely will not be their match at the show let alone at any other herp events in the area. In other words, they are fairly unheard of as entrants in herp shows in the area. I think that should be a plus. As usual with my animals they are in excellent condition. I am not sure they will win, heck the most common species around could do that - I am just very confident I have the best chance in years of winning with the herps I am entering this year.

Click on this link if you would like more information on the LIHS 21 Annual Reptile Show. For directions, click here. If you are thinking of entering an animal into the judged show, and it is open to everyone who follows the rules, then click on the appropriate entry category; adult or kids, print up the form, fill it out and bring it with you along with the herps your are entering on the day of the show. There is no fee to enter an animal in the competition. There is an admission fee to get into the show hall, $6.00 for adults and $4.00 for children. LIHS members and SUNY farmingdale students get in at a discounted price as per the flyer.

If you are thinking of coming along as a vendor, the info for vendors can be found here.

I hope to see some of you there.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: