Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ballseye’s Gun Shots 61 - My Glock 26 & My New Glock Armorer Skills

Well, despite not having any extra parts for it, I decided I would chance losing a spring or breaking something and take my Glock 26 apart down to the bare bones by doing a detail strip of it this morning (golly is it really almost 3 AM), that is all except for removing the sights.

I did it the smart way and did not depend on my muddled middle aged memory but used the armorer's manual to go step by step for disassembly and reassembly. I have to say it was a good thing I took it down, it needed a detailed cleaning badly. I have been shooting it a lot lately and even though I field strip it to give it regular maintenance type cleaning after each shooting session, it truly needed more than that because it was filthy inside the works. It isn't dirty anymore though, it almost sparkles now. Besides knowing it is clean, I now also know that all internal parts are in good working condition. I imagine I will strip it down like that for another cleaning in about 6 months or so.

I have to point out again, it is absolutely amazing at how easily this gun can be detail stripped using only a single tool, a steel punch at that!

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: