Saturday, May 24, 2008

John Augustus Roebling and Washington Roebling...

...father and son, would both be proud to know that their most acclaimed piece of architecture, an engineering marvel, has withstood not only the 125 years since it opened, but also the additional 13 years it took to be built. Of course I am talking about The Brooklyn Bridge - today marks the 125th anniversary of its opening. If you have ever been to New York City and you did not get a chance to see the Brooklyn Bridge, let me just say you missed one grand old lady. It is truly a sight to see, and better yet - if you walk across her span - there are some fine views of New York Harbor, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Statue of Liberty. There is a lot of story behind this bridge, once the tallest structure in the western hemisphere, and for many years the longest suspension bridge in the world. It is an engineering and architectural marvel. Why? Well because it was designed to be built 6 times stronger than necessary, yet during actual construction inferior cables were supplied by a crooked supplier. The younger Roebling (his father having died from disease before completion of the bridge) decided to go with the inferior cable instead of delaying the project. In addition one of the two support towers, the one on the Manhattan side is built over sand, as opposed to that of the Brooklyn side supported by bedrock. Why the difference, because of caisson disease (the bends) - and the younger Roebling was afflicted by it due to his time down in the caissons. He decided to stop sinking the supports of the west tower
down to bedrock level, and the tower is now atop sand, supported only by sand, 30 feet short of the bedrock. Yet despite that, this beautiful bridge still stands as she did on her first day.

I lived in New York City most of my life, and now live not far from the city on Long Island. I still work there, and still sometimes take the Brooklyn Bridge to get to work. It is mot a pleasure to get caught in the traffic jams that routinely happen on this bridge, but it is always a pleasure to see the view from it. Like some other bridges in New York, the Brooklyn Bridge has rail traffic that crosses its span in the form of New York City Transit Authority Trains - the subway (though there the trains are elevated); and I have crossed her that way too. I have also taken a boat ride around manhatan that twice passed under her span.

One thing the Brooklyn Bridge offers, that most other major spans in new York City do not offer, is the chance for the pedestrian to walk across her length. In all my time in and around New York City, I have only attempted this once. I decided to do so, one beautiful sunny spring day some years back, and I made it half way before I had to turn around and get back to court in Brooklyn. Someday though it will be my pleasure to walk across the completeness of her span, and that day is coming soon. Why soon? Well now that I think of it, I had always said I would someday go to the top of the World Trade Center to visit the observation deck and to dine in the restaraunt there. For some reason I always decided instead to visit the Empire State Building when I wanted a grand view of New York City and the surround states. (Yes you can see at least 5 states on a clear day from atop the Empiere State Building.) I figured the WTC would always be there for me. As it turned out, I never made it to the top of the Trade Center even though I worked there for several months. Now I will never have the chance. Before something disastrous can happen to the bridge, or before they close it to pedestrian traffic for whatever reason, I plan to make it across her span at least one time; and I imagine I ought to get my ass in gear before I lose the opportunity. Its funny what we take for granted as a thing that will always be there, I did just that with the WTC; I will not do it again - and certainly not with the Brooklyn Bridge or with my opportunity to walk her span.

If you want to read about the Brooklyn Bridge, try a web search, or look at these links, but let me remind you - the best thing you can do is to visit it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn_Bridge

http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/brooklyn/

http://nyctrip.com/Pages/Details.aspx?TourID=325

http://www.endex.com/gf/buildings/bbridge/bbridge.html

http://www.endex.com/gf/buildings/bbridge/bbridgefacts.htm

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: