Friday, December 7, 2007

Soldiers' Holiday Package - More Shopping Done

Okay folks, we are getting close to the end of all of these Soldiers' Christmas/Holiday Package(s) posts if only because today is the last day for donations; and what a coincidence it is also Pearl Harbor Day. In addition today was another shopping day for items for the packages. Despite being pretty much under the weather and feeling miserable today, I decided to get out of the house late this afternoon and pick up some items for another package. I purchased 12 folding knives at Dick's Sporting Goods for $260.57. I picked out two models of knives, one from Buck - the Buck Bantam, and one from Gerber - the Gerber Paraframe I (see the pic, and allow me to say sorry for the quality or lack thereof of quality in the photo, but I forgot our digital camera in my office yesterday, and there it still sits, so I had to use a cell phone camera). They look to be a pretty decent quality for the price, and they certainly are manufactured by well known knife making companies; my guess is the troops will like em a lot.

I also got several tee-shirts, and a bunch of baseball style caps - the caps all with WWF logos and the t-shirts all with wrestling pictures on them. These were donated to me by a young lady - Carmen - with whom I work in my office. I imagine they will make a big hit with the troops in Afghanistan. I tried to take a pic of them but it came out worse than the one of the knives - sorry.

Right now I have two packages all packed and ready to go to the post office tomorrow. One package contains: the knives; the other one holds: the crock-pot, the t-shirts and caps, candies, a package of 36 AA batteries, a 12 pack of decks of playing cards, a Gingerbread House kit,, chewing gum, and a box of 25 Romeo Y Julieta Bully cigars. So far I have collected a total of $670 in monetary donations to the fund, and I have spent $571.26, leaving us: $98.74 for a some more gifts for our soldiers. I have not found decent heavy weight wool socks yet, so maybe this remainder will go for the socks if I can find some nice ones. I'll try to get whatever I can this weekend, and then ship them out by early this coming week. Again thanks to all of you who either donated money, donated link space, or donated items for the package effort. This would not be possible without all of you.
All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: