Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Today In History: 10 Years of Controversary...

...began on today's date in 1997 when scientists announced that for the very first time human stem cells had been cultured in a lab. A progress report of his work was announced by Dr. John D. Gearheart, prior to his publishing it, in order to begin discussion of ethical guidelines for using stem cells. (see: http://www.todayinsci.com/7/7_25.htm)

I think there is a lot of medical promise in the use of stem cells, but I do not agree that they should be taken from aborted human fetuses. If someone wanted life that badly as to need stem cells from an aborted fetus, why not let the fetus live in the first place? No I am not totally against abortion, I believe there is a just and moral place for it, such as in instances of rape, medical need, and incest, but I also believe it should not be used as birth control for sluts who choose not to keep that pin between their knees. There are however, new methods of culturing stem cells, and I think these should be studied vigorously, and used to the benefit of mankind and the natural world around us.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: