Thursday, June 7, 2007

A Missed Tribute...

...by me yesterday was the result of me having to be awake by now to go to work today. In other words I had little time after getting home last night to do anything before I hit the hay.

Of course the missed tribute that I am writing about is the fact that it was the anniversary of D-Day yesterday, and I did not pay tribute as I should have. It was another of those lest we forget days (see my blog of two days ago about The Battle of Midway), and one of the most important ones at that for we as a nation. Thousands of allied forces gave their lives on June 6, 1944, and in all with wounded and missing there were about 10,000 allied casualties. The German casualty count was estimated to be between 4,000 to 9,000. Despite the fewer losses, the Germans were beaten decisively, and the way was paved for the allied take over of Nazi occupied Europe. If you do not know which battle I am writing about, maybe you have seen the opening battle in Saving Private Ryan. We owe those brave souls an awful lot, without their bravery and dedication we may have been goose stepping today, and their would have been very few if any of the Jewish faith left amongst us. Life would have been very different indeed, had the Germans won WWII; and not for the better.

Now off to work for me. Maybe another blog later tonight.

All the best,
Glenn B

1 comment:

Pen of Jen said...

Thank you Glenn, I found very few tributes on line. I always think of D-Day, it is so humbling for me.

I did re-read Reagan's speech yesterday that he gave there in the mid to late 80's. Quite profound!