Sunday, May 6, 2007

I'm Not Much of a Gardener...

...but I do my bit in our flower and vegetable gardens each year; and that does seem to help things to grow better and make the place look nicer even though I don't know all that much about gardening. A perfect example though of me being less than a knowledgeable gardener is I have plants in my yard and I have no idea as to their names.

One of those plants, actually I have two of them, are bushes just along the back of my house. They have been there since long before we bought the place 12 years ago. In that time they went from looking great, to looking like they were about to die, back to looking fairly healthy again. The leaves still seem a bit pale to me, but over the past 3 years I have experimented with different fertilizers, arriving at the conclusion that these bushes like the soil more on the acidic side. I figure they like the soil like that because once I started feeding them azalea food (and they sort of look like an azalea bush but I really don't know) and they started blooming like you see them in the picture. They just started to open a few days ago, must buds are still closed, but there are a lot of buds yet to bloom. It is kind of nice to see that I do have a bit of a green thumb, or at least that these plants are hearty enough to withstand my bumbling in the garden.
I have never seen ones just like these at the garden shops, especially in this color or flower size. This year, I think I will take some cuttings and see if I can get them to root. I did that with some Forsythias last year, and now have a few small Forsythia bushes growing in pots. Once they get a bit bigger, I'll have to find a spot for them. Hopefully this mystery bush will root the same way when I take cuttings from it, because I would like to assure having these around for a long, long time.
By the way, can you believe it, the camera focused just about perfectly on these flowers; I guess there is a first time for everything. Now off to get ready for work for me, I am doing a 4x12 tonight.
All the best,
Glenn B

1 comment:

Pen of Jen said...

I am better at fruits and veggies!

I don't know what it is but it sure does look beautiful!