Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Nice Day At The Range

I spent most of the morning today cleaning my issue H&K MP5, my issue 870 and my issue Glock 19. Only the shotgun needed cleaning, but it was a job I enjoyed doing on all three weapons. Make no mistake about it, these three firearms are my weapons when I am working. Hopefully I'll never have to shoot anyone with them, but I like to keep em ready to shoot well, even if only at the range.

This afternoon, I spent most of my time at the range for quarterly qualifications. I disappointed myself a bit with the Glock 19. I shot for score twice, the first time getting a 141 out of 150, the second time around I got a 147. Should have been a 150 second time around, but I made mistakes. Then I shot perfect with the shotgun, 5 out of 5 - yes we only shoot 5 shots at 25 yards to qualify. It was a fairly nice group as usual with the 870 in my hands. Then I shot a 247 out of 250 with the MP5; that really was a disappointment because I was shooting right on all the way, then my glasses fell off while shooting a few three round bursts. I kept shooting just like if it had been the real deal in the street, and put three rounds just out of the center ring losing 3 points. Oh well, stuff happens, and you have to keep on going.

All in all it was a great day. The weather was fine with temps in the mid fifties to low sixties, a slight breeze, and bright blue skies. The range officers were pleasant as usual, and that makes for fun shooting. Besides the qualifications we shot tactical stuff from behind cover. First though we ran about 40 yards or so, just enough to get a little bit pumped, then into the range sort of blind. Had 6 targets face, had to get behind cover, then fire at the bad guy targets. Only had 6 rounds per mag, but had to empty all the mags, so reloading would get done .I got em all, and did not shoot the good guy target. I also had a failure to extract, then the next round failed to feed. Did the tap rack, but did not reengage because it was obvious I had to strip out the mag, and reload a new one because it had not cleared. The range officers were quite pleased in how I handled the malfunction, and said so to me; that was nice of them. I am wondering why this one happened in the first place. It is not something that happens with any regularity for me, so I'll have to check the pistol over tonight. The range officers were quite pleased in how I handled the malfunction, and said so to me. It was nice of them to let me know I did that well, because they sure let you know if you foul up, and so they should do both.

All in all it was a great day, outside, and at the range.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: