Thursday, December 14, 2006

There are meat eaters, and then there are...

...meat eaters; just as there are hunters of different sorts. I hunt, and I eat the meat for which I hunt. If I get a trophy I would consider having it mounted if large enough to be a real trophy, or if unusual enough to draw lots of attention. As for the meat, almost none of it ever goes to waste. I love deer, squirrel, almost any type of bird for which one normally hunts in the USA, and I love bear meat. Despite my love of venison, I don't know if I would have been quite up to eating the deer that was recently taken by Rick Lisko.

It is not so much that the deer he took was one he had run over with his vehicle, I suppose fresh road kill can be as good as any animal killed with a gun or bow; but rather the deer itself that makes me wonder if I would have had the guts to consume it. You see, it was reported that the deer Mr. Lisko ran over, and later ate, was one with seven (count em) legs, and as if that was not weird enough, it also was reportedly transgendered. Of course before he ate it, he did what any law abiding hunter would do, he had the take registered with the state Department of Natural Resources. The game warden, Doug Bilgo, was rather amazed, saying: "I have never seen anything like that in all the years that I've been working as a game warden and being a hunter myself,".

This does not seem to be a hoax, it was all reported on FoxNews.com in this article: Wisconsin Man Runs Over, Eats Seven-Legged Transgendered Deer, which can be found at this address:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236483,00.html.

I know, I know, you are thinking 'Hey I've bagged and eaten bucks before, and I've done the same thing with does - so why not a he-she deer too'? Well I guess if I was poor and hungry enough, I would go for it with gusto; but there is just something about it having both sexes and seven legs that would sure make me think twice about eating it, especially since I could always go down the road to McDonald's for a Big Mac instead. Of course, had I run it over myself, or otherwise bagged it, it would in all likelihood have been mounted and then placed up for auction. Can you say Ebay? As for the meat, well maybe it would be in my freezer, and then again maybe not.

Happy hunting,
Glenn B

No comments: