Monday, September 4, 2006

The Bear Hunting Trip, part 1 revisited...

Of Bear Hunts and other things….

Well mostly of bear hunts, because I cannot think too much of anything to which I paid all that much attention in the past week, although there were some other things.

First for the bear hunt, or at least a rehash of our first day's trip. It was an interesting experience. Brendan and I left home last Saturday morning, and we returned home a bit later on that same Saturday morning. Luckily for us, while reviewing my mental checklist of items we could have forgotten, I realized we had left tour cooler behind with most of our fishing gear packed inside of it. So after having gone about a couple of miles or so, we hit our first snag in the trip and turned back to get the cooler. Then we were off in earnest toward the woods of Maine.

We drove about 5 hours or so the first day. Not a lot of driving by any means, but that medium length drive was part of what made it such a nice day. That and the fact we had a free night reserved at a Holiday Inn Express in White River Junction, VT. This would prove to be a step up from the usual Motel 6 in which Brendan and I stay while on many of our road trips. Don’t get me wrong, I am not knocking Motel 6 (so long as you stay at one that shows it as an Accor Motel), but this Holiday Inn Express was sure a giant step up for us. Our reserved room was a suite with 2 queen sized beds, but sadly we had to take a small step down from that. The problem with it was that it was right next to an elevator shaft and the head of the beds was on the wall of the shaft. Not conducive to a good night’s sleep so I asked for a change. I guess no one had read my request for a quiet room, specifically asking not to be next to ice machines or elevators! Oh well, they changed it to a single room that really was more like a studio apartment. It had a full kitchen, a dining area, a living room area, a desk/table, a skylight, 2 televisions, and 2 double beds. After settling in, we drove around looking for a restaurant. The one recommended by the hotel desk clerk was not yet open, so we drove across the river into NH were we wound up in a restaurant/brewery. Not a bad combo. Brendan had Chicken Parm and a soda; I had a steak and a beer and a half. The beer wasn’t great, but it was okay and it was brewed on site. The next day we even got a free breakfast at the hotel, you know the free stuff like: cereal, muffins, rolls, bagels, juice, fruit, coffee and the like. It was great! Then we were off for Eustis, Maine. More on our arrival in Rustis later, sadly I have to take a break now and get busy at home.

If you are wondering, why did he just rewite the last entry, well basically to get me back into the writing mode. Later today, I'll write more, probably much more.Right now, I have to go clean out animal cages, feed the mice, snakes, turtle, tortoises, geckos and frogs. Then for a lawn mowing, and maybe a trip to the lawn mower repair shop as the lawn mower was elaking fuel last week (but the bear hunt had to go on so that trip to the repair shop got delayed). Then I'll be off to the pet shop for some stuff. After that I have to change a flat on my government vehicle (oh wait a minute, they don't pay me for that on a holiday, so that waits until I am back on the clock tomorrow). Then whatever other chores my wife has for me. Then to butcher some meat for this afternoon's barbecue. Guess what kind of meat that will be, but again, allow me to say - more on that later!

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: