Friday, August 18, 2006

Simple Pleasures, quite frankly maybe the best of all...

Today is Friday, or I should say it is my Saturday this week because I worked this past Sunday. While technically not Saturday it is my first day off this weekend. Not bad. I puttered around on the Internet today trying to locate a local dealer who had in stock a riflescope for which I have been searching. Well I actually looked for a few scopes, but none of them were to be had anywhere locally, and I needed it by today for a shoot tomorrow. The scope is mainly for our (my son Brendan and I)upcoming black bear hunt at the end of the month, and it will sit atop our Marlin 336. I was pretty disappointed that I could not find a the illuminated reticle scopes for which I was searching. In fact, I did find one 2 days ago at B&H Photo in NYC, but it was scratched and the last they had in stock.

As it turned out I went down into the basement, and cleaned the 336. That was simple pleasure number 1. Talking to Brendan about the gun and about our hunt, as I put it back together, was simple pleasure number 2. Then I grabbed a Tasco 3-9x42MM, Mil-Dot reticle scope that I have had laying around unused for a few years, and I slapped that on the Marlin. I have only mounted one scope before, and I did a fair to good job on that one, so I hope I did likewise with this one. Brendan and I will take it to the range tomorrow to sight it in. I was none too happy not to have found a scope with an illuminated reticle, but having had this one on standby, so to speak, was nice; that was simple pleasure number 3 today. Finally getting a scope mounted on the 336 was also nice, simple pleasure number 4 was that I got it done at all.

Not too long after I was done with that, I realized my daughter had taken our car, and I was stranded at home - well not stranded really but too far from the gun shop to walk there to get ammo within a reasonable time. I gave her a call on the cell phone and she told me she would be home soon. When I asked where she had been,, she said looking for a job; that was simple pleasure number 5.

Soon after that, my wife got home from work. My daughter and son came in just after that. My daughter got a phone call almost as soon as she had walked in the door, it was someone telling her to come in for a job interview based on her looking today! That was quick, and it was simple pleasure number 6.

I put the finishing touches on the Marlin and then put it away. Then I mowed the lawn while my wife was making leftovers for dinner along with a nice fresh salad. The salad had some tomatoes from our yard in it. We ate dinner outside on the patio, and we each had a glass of wine with dinner. I enjoyed my wife's cooking and her company immensely. That was simple pleasure number 7 for today.

Simple pleasure number 8 was when I realized that the whole family was nice to one another today, no moaning, no groaning, and no arguing. I am not as grumpy as I once had been. It wasn't a very special day, yet all those things above that I have labeled as simple pleasures made it one heck of an especially fine day. We didn't have to go out and spend a lot of money on things, we didn’t have to go somewhere special to spend the day, we didn't have to go to a fancy restaurant, we didn’t have to have a special meal, we didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary, we just had a nice day. A nice day is one of the simplest pleasures of them all, and when shared with your family, at least even in part, a nice day is hard to beat.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: