Friday, March 30, 2018

Cute Little Snapper Had Nice Tight Tail...

 
...so how could I pass up not grabbing her by it! More behind the cover.
 

 
Dirty minds!
 
  

 


Caught this gal yesterday; she was out of the water probably looking for a place to lay her eggs. Snapping turtles, under normal circumstances, don't completely leave the water for much else than that. Besides that, I am pretty sure this was a female judging by her appearance and because it is the right season for nesting. I was considering taking her back to Brendan's place and having a nice snapping turtle soup but relented and let her go into the river to live another day. Hopefully she will lay plenty of eggs and at least a few of the hatchlings will not wind up being crow, opossum, skunk, raccoon, fish, larger snapping turtle or redneck food.

All the best,
Glenn B

1 comment:

skybill said...

Hi Boomer!!,
Nice catch and I'm glad ya' decided to let her go.. Like ya' said, "Egg layin' time!!" I've caught many turtles while fishin'!! Always unhook'em and throw 'em back!! Loggerheads, Snappers, what ever... They help keep our water way's clean by eatin; all the trash and dead stuff...
Had one ol' boy I kept catchin' at the South River by the NC 242 bridge!! He was a Snapper with at least a foot and a half shell!! he didn't like being "Caught!" and I had to use my "Long Nose" Calcutta pliers to get the hook outa' him!! "NO WAY!" I'd a picked him up by the tail like you did that one!!!
skybill