Saturday, December 16, 2017

Total Wine Has Arrived Near Me

Back in 2009, I was on a 4 month detail in Tucson, AZ. Several times while driving in either direction on the highway south of the city, I noted a place called Total Wine. Stopped in there to see if they had my favorite wine (MD 20/20 - not really) and was amazed to find a huge warehouse type wine, booze and beer store. The next year I was again in AZ for 4 months and shopped there as needed. Their selection is huge and their prices were relatively low, lower than anywhere else I bought my booze out there.

About a year and a half ago, I found out there is Total Wine in CT. Never got the chance to stop there though I had wanted to do so. Then forgot all about it.

On Wednesday this week, I worked in Long Island City and took the LIRR to get there. There was a sign for Total Wine at the LIRR station. Yes, Total Wine has come to Nassau County, NY; it is located next to Walmart on Old Country Road in Westbury. I stopped there today after about a two to two and a half hour pain in mine arse shopping trip to the madhouse known as Costco. I got so carried away looking around trying to find this or that when I meant to be there only 10 or 15. I needed to get home and drop off the haul from Costco and then pick up a rifle to bring to UPS to ship to my son. That now has to wait until Tuesday because I must have been in there for well over an hour trying to find stuff - their system of stocking the shelves leaves something to be desired. Anyway, I wound up spending a tidy sum on some of my favorites and saved money over getting it where I normally buy it. For instance, a 750 ml bottle of Schladerer Kirschwasser (supposedly a cherry brandy but it tastes more like white lightning or moonshine than brandy). It normally costs me $49.99 where I buy it; at Total Wine, the same bottle was just under $35.99! The wife likes Nurnberger Gluhwein, a spiced wine from Germany. I normally pay $9.99 per bottle. I bought a case of 6 at $5.84 per bottle (individual bottles went for $6.49 each). They also had something I have not drunk in well over 35, maybe 40 years - Mellow Corn (100 proof corn whiskey). It was only $10.99 for a 750 ml bottle, quality stuff made in the US of A. I bought two - one for a gift for a guy who drank it with me way back when and one as snakebite medicine to put on the shelf until I get bitten. They also have a beer side (not allowed to sell liquor, wine and beer in the same store in mega-regulated NY state, so it was an attached but different store set-up of the same name where they sold the beer. That was emptier than the booze side but has a huge selection of beers and ales.

I could become an alcoholic shopping there although I must say it too was a madhouse with all the Christmas shoppers in there. I want to take about a three hour tour of the place after the holidays kind of like they were supposed to do on The Minnow. Who knows, I may buy enough booze to last a lifetime of being shipwrecked on a desert island just like Gilligan and the all rest. It has only been open about a month, or so I was told by an employee. Maybe that is why a couple of other workers there told me they did not have things I asked for but then I found them on my own. They have some bugs to work out but I am sure that will happen and it will be my go to liquor store when I am purchasing in quantity. My local mom and pop store (literally so) will still get my business for a bottle or three. Anyway, I highly recommend Total Wine - based on my prior experience and my shopping tonight - for somewhat large quantity purchases.


All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: