Monday, August 5, 2013

Darn - More Gun Cleaning - The More I Shoot, The More I Clean

Once again, I started cleaning the guns today - those I had shot up at the Sixth Annual Northeast Bloggershoot. I worked on them for a good 2 1/2 to 3 hours earlier today. I got a only two of them cleaned. If you knew what guns I had taken with me to shoot, I would bet you could guess which two I cleaned today based on how long it took me to clean them.  Well, okay, I'll tell you exactly which ones I had along:

Stevens Model 66-B (bolt action rifle, .22LR)
Armscor Model 14Y (youth model, bolt action rifle, .22LR)
Remington Model 241 Speedmaster (semi-auto rifle, .22LR)
Remington 870 Shotgun (12 gauge pump action)
Hungarian Mosin Nagant M44 (bolt action rifle, 7.62x54R)
Yugoslavian Mauser 24/47 (bolt action rifle, 8mm Mauser)
Ruger MKII (semi-auto pistol, .2LR)
High Standard Duramatic (semi-auto pistol, .22LR)
Ortgies Pocket Pistol (semi-auto pistol, .32 Auto)
Smith & Wessom Model 17 (revolver, .22LR)
Glock 26 (semi-auto pistol, 9mm)
Remington R1 1911 (semi-auto pistol, .45 Auto)

Now, can you guess which two I cleaned today that took me three hours to clean even though I did not do a complete detail strip on either one. Granted, I disassembled them most of the way but not completely and that took me most of three hours.

If you guessed the Mosin Nagant and the Mauser, good for you, you were right on target. I only took each down as far as removing the bolt and then disassembling each bolt for a good cleaning. I did not take the wood of  either one nor did I remove the trigger group from either one. I figured those parts could wait until later. As it stands, I cleaned the bores, the chambers, the receivers, and the bolts. I also wiped down what exterior metal is exposed. Those bolts were dirty and needed a good cleaning and each of them got one.

My compliments, once again, to Gunzilla in that it cleaned the cosmoline out of the Mauser's bolt with minimal rubbing and swabbing effort on my part. One thing I found out about Gunzilla though, to be aware of, it may melt certain kinds of plastic. I do not mean polymers like that found on Glock pistol. What happened is: I had a bottle of Gunzilla in my range box and it leaked. It got all over the inside of the plastic range box but did not damage the range box itself. Instead, it apparently melted away part of the plastic case of a screwdriver set I had inside the range box. Whoops!

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: