Wednesday, March 27, 2013

An Excellent Dinner...

...was had by me tonight and it was store bought fully prepared. I went to Costco to do some family grocery shopping and went there on an empty stomach. When I passed the area where they keep their roasted chickens and their spareribs, well - I could not resist. I picked up a rack of ribs. Then I passed a refrigerated section that contained all sorts of delectable items and I spotted the smoked whitefish. I have not had one of those in years, many years. I used to get small ones when I was a kid the smaller ones were called chubs, back then. This one was larger than a chub, maybe weighed a few pounds when fresh caught and a couple to a few smoked. When I got home and after unpacking everything, I grabbed 4 ribs and the head and about 5 inches of the tail end of the smoked whitefish. Then I opened a Kirkland India Pale Ale (I have to do a post about Kirkland beers, the India pale ale and some others are pretty darned good). That was my dinner with the only addition being about 8 small Rolled Gold pretzels.

The Whitefish was out of this world delicious. I don't know about you but when I eat something I have not eaten for years, that I used to like very much, the taste all these years later is often a disappointment to me. I cannot say if that is because I remember it tasting differently than it actually did or if I get myself all hyped up expecting it to taster better than it actually could taste or if it is just simply that my sense of taste has changed as I have gotten older. The thing about the Whitefish tonight though was that it tasted just as I remembered it, every scrumptious morsel of it that I put into my mouth. The pieces that I was able to pull of the bones of the head were the most oily and thus the beast. As for the ribs, they were pretty darned good but not quite as good as I have gotten from Costco. Th India Pale Ale was an excellent accompaniment. The pretzels, just something for some crunch and a few more carbs. Truth is that the BBQ sauce on the ribs probably had enough carbs to last a whole day so I only had a few pretzels.

Wow, just writing about it is making my mouth water. Too bad for me, I told my wife about the Whitefish and ribs and told my son about the fish (and he is sure to find the ribs), so the chances are they will disappear tomorrow. I cannot remember that he ever ate smoked whitefish or that I have eaten it since he was born; man, has it been more than 20 years since I have eaten it! Whatever, it was an excellent dinner.

I think I will have to buy some oily fish and smoke it myself - whitefish, salmon, things like that. As for ribs, I make them myself but prefer to make them in a pot instead of smoked or cooked in the BBQ. I brown the ribs, then pour BBQ sauce and a beer into the pot over them, heat it all up and then slow cook it for about 3 to 4 hours. Talk about fall off of the bone ribs - absolutely delicious and not one drop of the delicious fat is lost into the grill or smoker, it all stays in the sauce. I may have to add bacon next time for even more flavor.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: