Tuesday, August 21, 2012

SHE WAS AS FUNNY AS FUNNY GETS

Phyllis Diller (pictured with Bob Hope probably in Vietnam circa 1966), gone at age 95. Heck, I always thought she was old, probably because when I started watching her on television, I was about 7 or 8 and she was in her mid 40s (the forties are ancient to kids that young). She was a comedy icon. She really was the funniest woman I have ever seen and she will be missed. I grew up with her. I don't remember all the shows I saw her in but there were many, including: The Phyllis Diller Show, The Red Skelton Hour, The Merv Griffin Show, The Ed Sullivan Show, The Tonight Show (with Jack Parr), The Tonight Show (with Johnny Carson), The Jackie Gleason Show, I've Got A Secret, The Art Linkletter Show, What's My Line, The Mark Douglas Show, The Dean Martin Comedy Hour, Hollywood Squares, The Bob Hope Show, Rowan and Martin's Laugh In, The David Frost Show, Love American Style, The Flip Wilson Show, and one and on and on. Those were just in the 1960's through the early 70's and include the many more shows referred to when I said "and on and on" all also in that time frame. Her film credits are humongous, they go from the 1950s through the current decade, in fact up until 2011. Her television series/show filmography can be seen here.  She also starred in some movies such as Boy Did I Get A Wrong Number and Eight On The Lam, both with Bob Hope. She made me laugh many, many, many times and for that I will always be grateful to her.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/08/20/comedian-phyllis-diller-dies-in-los-angeles-at-5/

All the best,
Glenn B

1 comment:

Humble wife said...

I loved her in the movie with Bob Hope 8 on the Lam. I watch it every year or so!

I think we haven't had real Hollywood talent or brazenness in a while and it is sad to see that many of the actors actresses that I really like are passing away.

Thanks for sharing about her. Seems like with blogging no one is forgotten because our memories carry them on!

Jen