Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Comments Require Word Verification

As far as I recall, I usually had word verification turned off for those wanting to leave a comment. Someone else, on another blog, made a remark lately that had me check to see if word verification had been turned on for my blog by Blogger or Google. I was surprised to see it had been turned on by someone. Who knows, maybe I did it.

Well, a few days ago, I turned it off. Within only two days, I received 17 spam comments relative to everything from hot sex sites, to dating services, to what appeared to be communist propaganda. While it was turned off, I also had an attempted attack on my computer. Luckily, Norton caught it and dealt with it right away. Now, I am not certain that the attempted attack or should I say the repelled attack was caused in any way by me shutting down the word verification but it seems odd to me that it came just at that time.

Another thing I noticed is a marked increase in spam emails I have begun to receive. his began the same day I turned off the word verification on my blog. I can only guess that when the bots send out spam they also collect your email address from your blog if you have it linked there (and I do have it linked so readers can contact me).

I have since turned back on word verification. I have not received any further spam blog comments since having turned the word verification back on. I also have received fewer spam emails today. So, as much of a pain in the neck it may be to have to read those crooked and often blurry letters to verify that you are not some type of an automated program looking to leave spam, it is a necessary evil as far as I am concerned. 

All the best,
Glenn B

1 comment:

Humble wife said...

I have been dumped with spam for about 2 years. I confess it has embarrassed at times, so the word verification removal won't change my situation.

My emails and my blogs are and have been spammed for far too long. I recently received an email that appeared to be from the email hosting company wishing for me to confirm my password and info-of course I did not reply.

The comment moderation is good here, as it makes me put my glasses on!

Jennifer