Thursday, April 21, 2011

Is Your Krummlauf Complete

Okay, maybe you spell it Krummerlauf, but if you know what it is then it does not matter how you spell it. The one I saw was said to be complete. While I was at the gun show, up in Syracuse, NY, last Saturday, I saw one of the most unusual rifles I have ever seen. Well, truth be told, the rifle - a German MP44 - was not all that unusual except for the attachments added to it. Those attachments were a grenade launcher, a prismatic sighting device and a bent barrel. At first glance, I had thought the barrel had been damaged and wondered why this particular rifle was on display. Then I spoke to the woman displaying it and read the info sheet she had available on her table. The devices were actually used by the Germans during the last year of WWII on the Russian front.

In a moment of pure noxious brain fart attack, I did not immediately pull my camera out of my pocket and take pictures of the whole magilla, as a matter of fact I did not take any pictures inside this gun show, shame on me but I was too busy gawking. I can assure you, if I am again at a gun show, with my camera handy, and see one of these, I will take plenty of pictures. There is a paucity of pictures available on the Internet from what I could find and most are terrible quality and small in size. Nonetheless, I was able to find a couple of pics to put into this post and am quite grateful that someone posted them online and that someone took them in the first place. While the ones in the pics do not appear to be exactly the same as the one I saw at the gun show, they are close to it and will give a good idea of what it looked like.

Much to my surprise, in my 5th or 6th attempt to find better pics, I ran across this video of them in action.



It sure looks like you could have fun with one of these but I am not too sure than any range personnel would appreciate me bringing one of these to a local range. Of course, it might get the same kind of looks as the guy in the above pic is giving the one he is holding, and there would be lots of conversation sure to ensue.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: