Friday, October 5, 2007

Today In History - Well This Is Sort Of...

...a today in history post. I figured that since it was my b'day, it would be nice to see what went on in the world on October 5th, throughout history. I found some interesting things, some I knew already and some I did not know. For example, I knew (I recalled after seeing it again) that on this date in 1877, Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce Indians surrendered to Colonel Nelson Miles after unsuccessfully trying to lead his people across the Canadian border in order to avoid going to a reservation. On that day he said these now famous words (well the last sentence is famous anyhow):

"I am tired of fighting. Our Chiefs are killed; Looking Glass is dead, Ta Hool Hool Shute is dead. The old men are all dead. It is the young men who say "Yes" or "No." He who led the young men is dead. It is cold, and we have no blankets; the little children are freezing to death. My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food. No one knows where they are - perhaps freezing to death. I want to have time to look for my children, and see how many of them I can find. Maybe I shall find them among the dead. Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. "

Something I had not known was that on this date in 1902, Ray Croc was born. He was the guy who founded McDonald's restaurants; he did that in 1955. I also did not know that the first trans-Pacific heavier than air flight was completed on this date in 1931. Clyde Pangborn and Hugh Herndon departed Japan on October 3 and landed in the state of Washington on October 5. Thanks to the HistoryNet.Com for most of the above info.

Some other things I had not known, and maybe still do not want to know, but its to late now since I already visited the Internet site: Rotten Dot Com. For instance, on this date in1858, the Crystal Palace in New York was burned down. Also on this date but in 1994, Luc Jouret and 52 others belonging to his Order of the Solar Temple commit mass suicide believing the world will soon end. I guess they were off by a few years. If you want to see some other rotten things that have happened on my B'day, go to: http://www.rotten.com/today/. There is one thing about art work that made me cringe.

I do think one or three things were forgotten about by those sites. Today in 1892 the Dalton Gang attempted to rob two banks at the same time in Coffeyville, Kansas. It was a big mistake, not so much to try to rob 2 banks at once, but to try to do so in their own hometown. They were recognized, and the townsfolk armed themselves and gunned four of them down, with only Emmet Dalton surviving the battle. Four townsfolk were also killed. If you want to see more info about the Dalton gang, see GunSlinger.com. On a lighter note the Beatles released their first single on this day in 1962. Love Me Do, with P.S. I Love you on the flip side. Chester A. Arthur was born on this day in 1830, as was Robert Goddard (rocket scientist) in 1882. In 1918, Hitler temporarily lost his sight due to a Chlorine Gas attack, if only the attack had been worse!

Of course lots of other stuff happened today in history, and it is just like any other day; but it is kind of interesting to know what went on the day you were born, or any day for that matter.

All the best,
Glenn B

2 comments:

MightyMom said...

let me be the first to wish you a happy birthday!

you finally made 30!!

how's it feel?

Jungle Mom said...

Happy birthday! Hope it was great!!!