Saturday, September 16, 2006

Ballseye's Boomers - Ruger Mini 14



Here is a case of a gun I sold that I sometimes kind of, sort of, wish I had not sold, but am still happy I sold it. Go figure, but here is the scoop on this one, particularly the one I had that is shown in the picture.

I was quite eager to purchase a semi-automatic rifle in a readily available caliber, and it was a toss up between something in .223, 7.62x39 or .308. I decided on the .223 if only because I could get ammunition really on the cheap, as in free at that time. I decided on the Ruger for a few reasons. It was made in America, I had a couple of other Rugers firearms, my experience with Ruger had been a good one (no problems with my other Rugers), Ruger had a fine reputation even if the Mini 14 got somewhat mixed reviews.

Well when I got mine some years back, I immediately took it home and cleaned it. I noted a few disturbing things. The disturbing things were a lot of machine marks inside the receiver, and a lot of seemingly sloppy welds. Then it was off to the range. I fired up a lot of ammo. I had a few jams, heck I needed something to whack the bolt handle to open it a few times, it did not extract and eject, leaving expended shell casings in the chamber at least a few times. More cleaning and different ammo and it worked better. Then I looked at my targets, where were the bullet holes. On one target, as I recall, I hit it about 5 times, this was out of many, many more shots. I adjusted sights and fired away, and after many such adjustments I got it sighted in as good as it would get. The big problem was shooting from any sort of a rest, doing so threw off my groups big time if I had sighted in the rifle from a no rest position.

I was not impressed and I had shot many a Ruger Mini 14 on my job with much better results. They were all blued steel, this one was stainless; they were all manufactured at least 10 years earlier, my new one was current (for then) production. I called Ruger, they said send it in. I had second thoughts, I sold the gun. The guy who got it loved it. Go figure!

The Ruger Mini 14 is loved by many and hated by many, my experience can illustrate why some hate it, the experience of the guy who bought it from me can illustrate how some love it. It is apparently a decent design even if not one of the most inherently accurate rifles out there. These rifles usually group good enough out to about 125 maybe 150 yards; some further. Therein I think lies a problem, it is in my opinion different - vastly different - in quality control from one to another. I could be wrong on that, but from all the feedback I have heard on them, that is my guess.

It has been years since I have shot or owned one. It maybe time again to try one out, probably this time in .223 again (only because 7.62x39 has proven difficult ammo to buy recently). Maybe I'll get a good one to satisfy me, or maybe I'll just have to sell it again. If anyone wants to make a donation let me know.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: